A 5-day trip to Sweden offers a taste of its vibrant cities, stunning natural landscapes, and rich cultural heritage. Here’s a suggested itinerary that covers some of the highlights:
Day 1: Stockholm
- Arrive in Stockholm, the capital city of Sweden.
- Explore Gamla Stan, the charming old town with cobblestone streets, colorful buildings, and historic sites like the Royal Palace and Stockholm Cathedral.
- Visit the Vasa Museum to see the well-preserved Vasa warship, which sank in 1628 and was salvaged in the 20th century.
- Take a stroll along Strandvägen, a picturesque waterfront boulevard.
Day 2: Stockholm
- Visit Djurgården Island, home to several attractions including Skansen, the world’s first open-air museum, and Gröna Lund amusement park.
- Enjoy a boat tour of the Stockholm archipelago to experience the beautiful coastal scenery.
Day 3: Gothenburg
- Travel to Gothenburg, Sweden’s second-largest city, either by train or a short domestic flight.
- Walk around the charming Haga district, known for its picturesque wooden houses, boutiques, and cafes.
- Explore Liseberg, a popular amusement park with rides, entertainment, and beautiful gardens.
Day 4: Gothenburg to Malmö
- Take a morning train to Malmö, a city in the southernmost part of Sweden.
- Visit Malmöhus Castle, a historic fortress housing museums and exhibitions.
- Explore the modern and artistic neighborhood of Västra Hamnen, home to the Turning Torso skyscraper and the Øresund Bridge connecting Sweden to Denmark.
Day 5: Malmö to Lund and Departure
- Take a short train ride to Lund, a charming university town with a medieval cathedral and botanical gardens.
- Walk around the cobbled streets, visit Lund University’s historical buildings, and enjoy a leisurely morning.
- Depending on your departure time, you can head back to Malmö or directly to the airport for your journey back home.
Remember, this is just a basic itinerary and can be adjusted based on your interests and preferences. Sweden offers a diverse range of experiences, from urban exploration to outdoor adventures, so tailor your trip to what you enjoy most. Also, keep in mind any travel advisories, weather conditions, and opening hours of attractions.